Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Bhutan : Bhutan Post CEO post in limbo

6 October, 2008 - “This is still news to me,” said Bhutan Post’s chief executive officer select, Tseten Geltshen, responding to the Anti Corruption Commission’s (ACC) revocation of his new appointment.

Tseten Geltshen, former deputy secretary of the ministry of information and communication (MoIC), said that he did not receive any information about his appointment being “revoked” and was aware of it only after media coverage.

“If my results were revoked, the government, which issued the order, should have informed me,” he said, adding that he was appointed by the government and was to join office starting October 1 as per the office order.

At the moment, he said he was in the process of handing over the administrative responsibilities in his former ministry and would be assuming his Bhutan Post office next week.

The appointment had come under scrutiny after one of the unselected candidates alleged in the media that the selection procedure held last month was flawed.

“As per the announcement, I applied for the post, was called for an interview and selected. Later I received an order from the government to join, starting October 1,” said Tseten Geltshen.

The chairman of Bhutan Post board of directors and officiating secretary of MoIC ministry, Phala Dorji, said that it would be an unfortunate development if what media printed was true.

“Then the integrity of the board of six panels is being questioned,” he said. “We’re all responsible members drawn from various organisations and whatever we did was collective and not a one man show where we could expect foul play.”

However, Phala Dorji confirmed that they have not received any directives following the approval of the appointment by the minister of MoIC, which was the sector ministry for Bhutan Post.

He said that all members of the board were called and questioned by ACC and every member had responded accordingly but was not served with a letter or verbal instruction about the “revocation”.

“We still believe that the decision of the sector minister holds good,” he said.

Meanwhile, ACC refused to make any comments but sources confirmed that the commission had submitted the report to the finance ministry for appropriate action. Finance ministry officials were not available for comment.

By Kesang Deman &
Tenzin Namgyel


No comments: